On February 10th I was nominated for the “I’m NOT Featured on Freshly Pressed” Award by the lovely Amy Thompson aka SweetMarie. I have not met her in person; but this wonderful woman really stands out from the crowd for me. I felt lost when I started my blog, but somehow she found me and has shown me nothing but encouragement and support to continue what I’m doing. Thank you so much Amy!
Through my painful experience, I met a woman at a Domestic Violence Group, who when we were walking down the street with our little boys around the same age, she started to tell me of her situation. As cowardly as this may sound, I couldn’t wait for us to part, heading toward our separate destinations. Why? Because I couldn’t wait to cry for her, but I didn’t want her to see me do so. The tears were ready to fall… She was still living with her abusive husband who took all her money when she got paid, leaving her with no money to even travel to and from her place of work. He smacked her about and complains when she asks him to babysit their son when she has to go to work. To attend the Domestic Violence Group, she tells her husband that she’s taking their son to the Baby Clinic to get him weighed, etc. Because the husband’s mother was physically abused by his father, she encourages her son to do the same to his wife, tormenting her, laughing about it in her face. He calls her ugly, useless and then some, yet still expects his dinner to be ready when he finally returns home after spending her hard earn money. Before our goodbyes, the last thing she said to me will stay with me for a very long time, if not always. “If I don’t leave very soon, I won’t get out alive”.
I’ve not seen her since, but I hope to God she’s still alive and out of her situation. I think of her all the time, and hope we get to meet again. Until that day, I can do nothing but pray for her and write with her in my thoughts.
Whether or not I’m featured on Freshly Pressed does not bother me simply because it’s not about me. It’s about this woman and her child. It’s about all of us. We are a family growing stronger day by day. This is the best Award I could ever achieve from talking about my experiences. However, if my blog were, it would be dedicated to you all. The saying/term “One For All And All For One” comes to mind.
Anyway, apologies for going into a ‘story’ and going on! I wish to present this award to the following four blogs:
Rules for Nominees:
1. Select the blog(s) you think deserve the “The I’m NOT Featured On Freshly Pressed Award”.
2. Write a blog post and tell us the blog(s) you have chosen- there are no minimum or maximum number of blogs required- and ‘present’ the blog(s) with their award.
3. Include in your blog post a paragraph about why you’d like to be on WordPress’ Freshly Pressed OR a paragraph on why you couldn’t care less about Freshly Pressed. Up to you
4. Let the blog(s) that you have chosen know that you have given them this award and share the instructions with them- (please don’t alter the instructions or the badge!)
5. Come over and say hello to the originator of the “The I’m NOT Featured On Freshly Pressed Award” via this link:http://DonCharisma.org/2014/01/01/the-im-not-featured-on-freshly-pressed-award
6. And as a winner of the award- please add a link back to the blog that presented you with this award, and then PROUDLY display the award on your blog.
7. If you ever do get officially “Freshly Pressed” then take down this award badge and display the official “Freshly Pressed” badge instead.